Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Blogger censorship

A couple of bloggers commented that they got emails on blogger's new censorship rules being imposed next month.
So I googled and found this story:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-bans-explicit-adult-content-from-blogger-blogs/
This is really depressing. It's hard to believe this is happening in 2015 and the devastating effects it will have on our community. Don't know what wordpress' policy will be. Or whether posting on tumblr.com is feasible.
Meanwhile, I suggest that instead of using google to search, use duckduckgo.com for your searches. They do not track your searches the way google does. Or goodsearch.com in which you can donate to a charity of your choice while searching.
I just hope there is enough of an outcry that this is reversed. What's next? Bloggers having a Scarlet Letter?  
FD

12 comments:

  1. That's what I'm asking myself...what's next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to believe this is happening in 2015.

      FD

      Delete
  2. Hi Florida Dom

    Lady M has sought to address this in an entrepreneurial way by establishing fetblogger.com. It is still its infancy but I set up my site today and it is now live, without any of my current content. It works off the Word Press engine but is not Word Press. If we can behind this it might give everyone a place to express their opinions in a dedicated forum. If you go to fetblogger.com the information is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fetblogger sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up.

      FD

      Delete
    2. Very cool, I'll check that out as well!

      Delete
  3. Hi FD, thank you for sharing this, it's a real shame. Just what does Google define as sexually explicit? That is the question.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they can define it any way they want to.

      FD

      Delete
  4. It looks like they are targeting photos and not text. That is what I understood when I followed the handy link on my blog. I am pretty sure that I haven't shared any nude photos. That is going to be a lot of work to check. Yikes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you remove the adult content flag you will fly under their radar screen.

      FD

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the alternative search options, I will definitely be looking into those!

    Any idea if they will check idol blogs? I have one that I don't publicly share anymore, and I'm wondering if I need to do any clean up...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind about that question... it looks like having it private means it won't be affected anyway.

      I do turn the link options "off" on all my photos, so that it is not directly linked back to my blog, but I have included several source links below them... so I'm wondering if it would even "see" the photos, since the link to them is off...

      Delete
    2. I would think if you don't publicly share it anymore , you wouldn't have to worry about it.

      FD

      Delete